THE VOICELESS/ FINDING YOUR VOICE
“ Equality For All: Representing All Women In Discussions About Gender Equality, Motivation and success stories of Migrant Women.”
CELEBRATING WOMEN’S DAY – SUNDAY 8 MARCH 2020
Join us for International Women’s Day 2020! The purpose of this event is to celebrate women in Iceland and to empower women of foreign working in Iceland whose voices are underrepresented in our society.
Collectively we can make a change happen. We can help create a gender equal world!
The focus of this year’s event: “Equality For All: Representing All Women in Discussions About Gender Equality, Motivation And Success Stories of Migrant Women
Women of Foreign Origin in Transition
Women experience many changes in life such as marriage, becoming a mother, a new job, divorce, a move and sometimes death of a spouse.
Getting through these transitions, especially in a new country, often away from friends and family, is key to a happy, healthy and fulfilling life.
- To energize and inspire
- To create an integration survival kit with information for women of foreign origin in transition
- To explore the successes and challenges of women of foreign origin in Iceland
- Meet wonderful women of foreign origin, native women, exchange ideas and network
- Are government institutions and municipality committees in-charge of addressing gender equality issues monitoring the situation of women with foreign backgrounds in gender based policies and initiatives?
- Success stories from women of foreign origin
- Motivational stories
Key Discussion Questions:
- Are women of foreign origin getting the help they need to navigate major life changes?
- Are women of foreign origin aware of their rights in Iceland?
- Are the ministries in charge of gender equality monitoring the development of educational rights of women of foreign origin?
- Are societal and organizational cultures doing enough to open minds on diversity?
- Are the challenges faced by women of foreign origin in the workplace the same as the challenges faced by native women? If not, how can each group teach and learn from each other?
- Do “well integrated” women of foreign origin have equal access to leadership roles in the workplace and society?
- How many foreign women are in plugged into the “power structures”?
- Is it crucial to have anti-discrimination laws to protect women of foreign origin in the labor market?
Venue: Hotel Kriunes Kríunesvegur 12, 203 Kopavogur
10:30 – 10:40 Welcome/Icebreaker
10:40 – 11:00 Introduction
11:00 – 11:20 First Speaker – Runa Magnusdóttir (The founder & CEO of The Change Makers. Co-Creator #NoMoreBoxes Movement)
11:20 – 11:40 Second Speaker – Auður Bjarnadottir
11:40 – 11:50 Entertainment (Far Fest Afrika Dance)
11:50 – 12:00 Success stories
12:00 – 12:20 Break & Mingling, enjoy delicious lunch at Hotel Kriunes Restaurant
12:20 – 12:30 Introduction of the panel of speakers
12:30 – 1:30 Discussion begins with the panel
1:30 -1:50 Questions from the audience
1:50 – 2:00 Meditation by Elisabete Fortes
2:00 – 2:20 Wrap up of the event and appreciation
2:20 – 2:30 closing
- Ruth Adjaho Samuelsson – Organizer
- Sonja Kovacevic Moderator
- Runa Magnusdóttir – The founder & CEO of The Change Makers Co-Creator #NoMoreBoxes Movement INTERNATIONALLY-AWARDED PERSONAL BRANDING AUTHOR, SPEAKER & STRATEGIST.
- Auður Bjarnadóttir – Manager of Jógasetrið Reykjavik. Auður is a yoga therapist. She taught yoga since 2000, she is a trainer, teacher and mother.Topic: ´´FREE TO BE YOU
- Drífa Snædal, President-ASÍ
- Sveinbjörg Smáradóttir
- Sibeso Imbula – Þroskaþjálfi) at Reykjavík City and MA Student in Disability Research.
- Edythe L. Mangindin -Registered Nurse and Midwife at Landspitali
- Sanna Magdalena Mörtudóttir-Borgarfulltrúi
- Elisabete Fortes – private tour guide, driver, meditation facilitator and trainer
- Magda Magdalena – Board member of Efling Union since 2018
- Sonja Kovacevic – Moderator
Book your seat ii advance as there is limited seating. You sure don’t want to miss out this amazing event!
About the organizer: IcelandFest:
We are committed to empowering women all over the globe to achieve success on their own terms.
We provide opportunities for women to connect with and support each other.
We organize programs that contribute to personal growth and development through networking.